Preparation for your test
- 24 Hours Prior : NO Heavy Physical Exercise
- 12 Hours Prior : NO Food and Drinks; Water is Allowed
- 1 Hours Prior : NO Smoking
- 10 – 15 minutes Prior : Be Seated & Relaxed
- Inform about Medication and Nutritional Supplements
- Proceed For Blood Collection
Following your Blood Test
Venipuncture is a simple procedure which rarely causes any side effects. Appearance of bruises or mild discomfort can be felt occasionally. The pain is temporary and the bruise will resolve in a few days’ time.
After blood collection:
- Leave the bandage on your collection site for 2 to 3 hours.
- Refrain from carrying heavy weights that day.
- Wear loose fitting sleeves so that the venipuncture site is not compressed.
- If bleeding occurs at the site of venipuncture, apply firm pressure over the area for a few minutes.
Fecal Occult Blood Test Preparation
This test is to detect the presence of blood in your feces, which is not always visible to the naked eyes.
The following foods should not be eaten 48 to 72 hours before taking the test:
- Red meat (especially meat that is cooked rare)
- Vitamin C-enriched foods or beverages
Mid – Stream Urine Collection for Culture & Sensitivity
A mid-stream urine sample means that you don’t collect the first or last part of urine that comes out. This reduces the risk of the sample being contaminated with bacteria from:
- your hands
- the skin around the urethra (tube that carries urine out of the body)
To collect a clean urine sample:
- label the container with your name, Lab ID
- wash your hands
- start to urinate, but don’t collect the first part of urine that comes out
- collect a sample of urine “mid-stream” in a sterile screw-top container
- screw the lid of the container shut
- wash your hands thoroughly
If your doctor gives you any other instructions, follow these.
Seminal Fluid Collection
It is important to follow the instructions provided to you for accurate results.
- The specimen should be collected five to seven days after the last ejaculation. Do inform the laboratory staff regarding the number of days of sexual abstinence.
- Before collecting a specimen please wash your hands and penis thoroughly and rinse well to remove any soap residue.
- A masturbated sample is strongly advised
- The specimen must be received within an hour after it has been obtained. The specimen must be transported at room or body temperature.
- Collect sample directly into the sterile container. Replace the lid securely
- Label the container with your name , Lab ID and time of collection
- Please, notify the lab when you arrive if any of the samples has spilled or if there have been any problems with the collection of your sample. This will allow us to determine if a second collection is needed for an adequate sample.
24- HOUR URINE COLLECTION PROCEDURE
- Void into toilet as usual upon awakening.
- Note the time and date on the specimen label, place it on the container, and begin timing.
- Collect all urine voided for the next 24 hours.
- Refrigerate the specimen throughout the collection period if required.
- When a bowel movement is anticipated, collect the urine specimen before, not after it.
- Drink a normal amount of fluid unless instructed to do otherwise.
- Void one last time at the end of the 24 hours.
- Seal the container, place it in a portable cooler, and transport it to the laboratory as soon as possible.